But something made me stop. Something whispered to me that I should go towards him. As I did, I heard. And I saw. He was running towards me and was crying his eyes out. I started running and when I got to him I started searching for signs of an injury. I asked him if he was okay, if he was hurt. "No," he stammered, "I missed my stop and forgot to get off the bus". Relief flooded through me and while I am sure the bus driver was none to happy with him, I assured him that it was okay and grabbed him and held him close to me.
Would he have been okay if he had just told me about it when he got home? Sure. Was it better that I was there to scoop him up and reassure him while the hurt was still so fresh and he was so upset? In my eyes, you bet. I was so thankful that I could ease his mind sooner, even if just a few minutes more. I was grateful for my mother's heart and for listening to the still small voice within.
I started thinking about how many times I have been in sorrow, crying my eyes out, hurt beyond measure. How our Heavenly Father would love to reach through the veil and scoop us up and pull us close. While Jesus walked the Earth, he spoke so many beautiful words that sustained and gave peace. When He left, it was promised that we would be given the Holy Ghost.
I have always loved the description of the Holy Ghost as "comforter". It gives me an image of being wrapped up in a warm cozy blanket. But of course, another definition is one to "run to our side and pick us up". Of course, it isn't in the physical sense. But as a remembrance of the words of Jesus that brings comfort to those who love him. John 14:26, we are told ...
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
We are given the spirit within us to bring to mind that which Jesus taught us.
But I also believe that our Father in Heaven uses human vessels to bring comfort to us. That's a phone call from a friend. That's a message that says "I was just thinking about you today". It's what leads us to do acts of kindness to others, sometimes without knowing why we are doing them. And it's what compels a mother to go out to the street looking for her child just to make sure he doesn't need her.
I find comfort today knowing that I have that big old blanket whenever I need it.



No comments:
Post a Comment