Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Love Songs, Nothing but Love Songs

Atomic Amy and the Spent Rods have enlisted the assistance of a booking agent who specializes in wedding gigs. Now this is funny for a couple of reasons, the first being if you ever have seen the movie "The Wedding Singer"(which is frighteningly realistic).....then I need not say more. The other is because she asked us to put together a demo CD. This is great because we get to go into the studio!!! I love this process - you go in warts and all and you come out sounding so much better than you are....plus it means I will have something to share with anyone interested in hearing us. She has asked us to include a love song, something that the bride and groom might dance to for the first time as a couple. This is where it gets funny, and not just a little tricky. We realized that we don't do any love songs!!! We do lots of please-come-back-to-me-can't-live-without-you-I'm-dying here-honey songs. We do NOT do any I-love-you-I'm-so-glad-I'm-with-you-you-are-the-one-for-me-and-I'm-glad-you-haven't-left-yet kind of songs. We got nothing. Nada. Zip. And we have to do this on Saturday. I am feverishly working on Corinne Baily Rae's "Like A Star" because I begged, screamed and kicked for it. I am also working with them on "Songbird" as it is one of my favorite love songs and I sang it at my own wedding. The guys have tossed out a few (but not very many) so it got me to thinking.....what is YOUR favorite (slow) love song, and why? I would love to hear your suggestions.....looks like we need to beef up in that department and pronto if we ever hope to sing at weddings, right? So let's hear it! Trust me, all songs will be considered. But I have one rule, and I hope it doesn't offend, NO CELINE DION. Now let 'er rip!

2 comments:

Marcy said...

Congratulations on getting into the studio again - that is awesome! I can't wait to hear it!

I see the irony and humor in the singing diva asking us lay people for song recommendations. But, I'll bite. There are way too many though!

First off, any song from Monster Ballads tops my list:

Heaven
When I See You Smile
Almost Paradise
When I'm With You
When I Look Into Your Eyes

Then there's the obvious:

When You Say Nothing At All
Lady in Red
My Girl
When a Man Loves a Woman

And some not so obvious:

Nothings Gonna Change My Love For You
Groovy Kind of Love
Endless Love
Happy Together
Addicted to Love
Every Breath You Take
Every Woman In The World
This Magic Moment

And one that really doesn't work, but is my favorite anyway:

Somewhere Out There

Which reminds me that you can pretty much choose a song from any Disney movie (Alladin comes to mind).

And, drumroll please, my favorite (since I heard it on the Cosby Show forever ago)....

Let's Get It On

Amy said...

That's so funny! We actually talked about Let's Get it On but thought it was a little much for a wedding......maybe not! And you are too funny, you and your brother and the 80's monster ballads!! Anyway, thanks for the suggestions I'll throw them in the ring....