Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rx for Gratitude!

My little man has been very sick the last few days...it started out with a rash on his bum-bum that turned into strep throat (how the two are connected, I don't even want to know). Things is, I never would have known Connor was sick at all, if I didn't see the rash. He didn't appear to be in any pain, and was as happy as ever. Friday night, he started to feel really warm, but that was the only indication that something was amiss. He went to the doctor on Saturday (and a shout out to Dr. "Kula", not only for being there on a Saturday, but having the coolest train set in town), and we received his diagnosis. So start the antibiotics and the bum cream! After two doses of the antibiotic (which, turns out, is NOT the yummy stuff that tastes like bubble gum) Connor announced "I all better now, Mommy, don't need no more medicine". He has been taking really long naps and a couple of times when his dad asked if he wanted to sit on his lap, he answered "No, I want Mommy" - this is how I KNOW he is sick - but that aside, he has been as active and up to his usual shenaniganariness as ever. Smiling, laughing and enjoying being Connor. And I couldn't help but think of my mom...she was sick almost every day of my life (and long before)...I barely remember her being healthy...and yet you would never know it. She endured countless heart problems, severe back pain and finally breast cancer that spread to her brain and ultimately claimed her life. But more than her illnesses, I remember a woman who was active, kind-hearted, optimistic, upbeat and a woman of great and infinite faith. She never once cursed God, felt sorry for herself and rarely complained (in fact I can only assume with all the pain she went through, that she must have....but I never heard it). She has taught me more about facing adversity (though it would seem I still need to learn much more about this) with class and dignity then anybody who ever received an award or had a movie or book made about their life. I am proud to say she is my mother, and I am proud to say that sunny, funny, happy little Connor is my son. I have much to learn from both of them. Oh, by the way, Connor still has to take his medicine. And he is getting better, in every way, each and every day.

5 comments:

Marcy said...

What a sweet post. Thanks for sharing.

Misty said...

Awe... That explains why you hand disappointment and trails so well. Dignified is just the word i would have used to describe you. Love you honey!

Alison said...

Oh, so sad about Conner being sick. Isn't it terrible! You just want to take it from them. That was sweet about your mom, too :)

Kylie said...

Amy you are so sweet, I really needed that today. I sure hope that Connor is feeling better, it is definitely not fun to have a sick baby, no matter how old they are.

Edy said...

Thanks for sharing this about your mother and about Connor. Connor is so fortunate to have such a beautiful, cleaver, careing, faithful, fun-loving, awesome singer, great cook for his Mommy. And Lonny is lucky to have you for his wife and I'm fortunate to have you for my daughter-in-law. I wish I could have known your mom and I wish Connor could have known his other grandma. She sounds like an amazing woman. The great thing is that we will be able to meet her in the future. Keep the faith. Love you.