I am sad to announce that I have yet another friend diagnosed with breast cancer. And shockingly, it is a man. His name is Mike and he is a former keyboard player with Atomic Amy - he was instrumental (pun intended) in the revamping of our name and sound. He is actually in the picture of the band on the right. He is a sweetheart, a talented musician and now the recipient of a Stage 3 (as bad as it gets) breast cancer diagnosis.
Many people don't realize that men can get this as well, that they actually have breast tissue. It is unusual, 1 in 100 breast cancer cases is a man. In 2005, 211,400 women were diagnosed versus 1,690 men. It often is deadly because men aren't as suspicious of abnormalities in that area, as women are, and they are often ignored until the tumor has spread.
Mike is a great guy and has an amazing circle of supportive friends, including his adorable girlfriend Darby. He has asked that we all "tune in" at 8:30 a.m. and p.m. each day, meaning either in prayer or meditation or however that is done as an individual, and send all the positive thoughts and vibes we can. If you would like to join in, feel free!
He has to undergo a double mastectomy next week, followed by some aggressive chemo. This Friday, he is hosting a party. He wants a chance to hug everyone, since he won't have that opportunity while he is healing. He is calling his party "Stop The War In My Rack"! (So glad he is maintaining his sense of humor!) You can bet I will be there with bells on.
I have to ask though, since I just KNOW he is going to kick booty and survive this thing....is he going to have to wear survivor pink when he Races for the Cure? I can't wait to find out. Take care my friend, and MUCH love and healing light coming your way!
Thursday, November 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment