Thursday, March 1, 2012

Christmas 2011

We had so much to celebrate...

At our Relief Society enrichment night in November, the ladies put on a beautiful program welcoming the holiday season. I was really emotional and teary because what got me through last year was thinking that next Christmas would be so much better. And it was...just not exactly what I pictured. I pictured my children healthy and happy and with an excited little boy jumping up and down, babies shrieking with delight and wonderful photo ops of all three of them in their matching Christmas finery, right before we went to Church and enjoyed what is always an incomparable music program.

Instead, we had two babies screaming at 6:00 a.m. They were neither healthy nor happy. Both of them came down with terrible colds and they weren't going back to sleep for nothing. Lonny grabbed the video camera so we could one day show them that their first Christmas at home was not exactly filled with comfort and joy! We surrendered the white flag and decided it was time for everyone to get up. Connor was super excited and the babies rallied for a while. We did have fun opening presents and enjoying hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls, our Christmas morning tradition. The babies started to fade so back to bed for naps. Lonny and I cooked up a delicious breakfast. Everyone snarfed! Then time to get ready for church. Connor was using every delay tactic in the book and still hadn't gotten out of his pajamas at the 20 minute mark. I managed to get Abby in her dress, but it was a battle royale in which she shrieked alright, but not in a happy way, and right in my face. I finally got her looking perfect and all she did was cry and cry and cry. I was exhausted and practically ready to cry myself. Then it was time to tackle Ella. Lonny and I looked at her, looked at each other and decided we weren't gonna make it to church. Then I DID cry. So another fight with Abby to get her dress off. We opened up the last of the presents. My favorite is the "O Jerusalem" painting of Christ looking over the city from a nearby hill (although to be shallow for just a minute I am really excited about the Camp Chef I got Lonny...we are going to have some incredible meals this camping season!). It is such a peaceful image. I felt a little better about my "ruined" Christmas as I thought about what it really means. It is about being together as a family. And after a ten year struggle, we are finally, truly together. Who cares about the rest? (Well, I still did just a little) There will be many more Christmases and we can always fill them with all sorts of new "firsts". I am grateful that Connor chose us to be his parents, that Abby and Ella - miracles in themselves - are home and that I actually have babies - snotty noses and head colds and all. I am grateful for a husband that supports me and that I love. I am grateful that I had wonderful parents for 24 years (mom) and then 15 more (dad) who are watching on and loving the beautiful family they helped create. A most perfect Christmas indeed.









1 comment:

Edy said...

Every Christmas morning is unique; each one special in its own way. I hope at some point you got a picture of everyone dressed in their Christmas finery. That looks like a precious baby doll and Connors project looks awesome.