Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Another Incredible Loss

I am saddened to again have lost another friend. I learned this morning that a friend of mine, Wayne Christiansen, died Monday in a car accident. For those who follow the news (I try not to, too sad), he was driving in Spanish Fork Canyon (WHEN are they going to do something about that deathtrap!) Monday night when an elk darted in front of him and his little pick up truck drove head on into a semi. His truck exploded...I pray with all my heart that it was quick for him.

Wayne was an incredible musician, one of the best I have ever had the pleasure of working with. I have never heard someone play the piano so beautifully, while making it completely effortless. He knew every song EVER and all you would have to say is "Wayne, can you lower it a bit" and he would just knock it out of the park everytime. He didn't even have to THINK about transposing. He and I worked at Unity together for years. He also used to take me to sing at D.B. Cooper's (no longer around), where all these old wizened jazz cats (yes, I went "there" and that is what we called them) used to hang out . They would all sit around and tell me I was going to be the next Diana Krall (forget about the amazing pianist who would make me sound so good), and he would just beam. He was on his way home from the Salt Lake Jazz Festival, where he had played for hundreds of people and surely made them feel wonderful inside. I always did, whenever I knew Wayne was going to be at the gig.

He had an infectious laugh - you could not help but laugh yourself when you heard it - and a fiendish grin. He was one funny dude. Once again, I can't help but think that the world is a little less brighter - and it sure has lost an amazing music man. He left behind a son, Carter. My heart is heavy, but I am sure I will have the chance to hear him chortle and play those 88s again someday.

Rest in peace old friend.

2 comments:

Ginnie said...

I'm so sorry Amy... when it rains it pours, doesn't it.

PS- I miss your guts
PSS- I believe we have something to talk about...

Amy said...

Thanks Gin....I am so sorry I couldn't make it to your Grandma's service yesterday, I so wanted to.

PS - I miss you guts too....

PSS - Oh YES we have something to talk about!