Monday, December 1, 2008

Got Christmas?

So, December is upon us, I can't believe it! Only 23 shopping days....and I could care less! In fact you can call me Atomic Scrooge.

Things have been hard....I don't want to complain, because really I shouldn't, but things have been hard. Some family members are moving away, I am still so very sad about the adoption falling through and a close, dear friend was just diagnosed with breast cancer (don't start me on the importance of the mam-gram again, ladies). I read that store employees are dying on Black Friday (gives it a whole new meaning, doesn't it) and that people are just being rude in general. I (for once in my life) don't feel like shopping, we are only doing the minimal Christmas decorations, and I am just plain tired. I feel like hiding under a blanket (although a cashmere one would be nice, hey Santa). Apparently the Grinch has come and stolen the entire holiday from my heart.

I have a beautiful little boy and I must must must pull it together for him! So I ask you....are you a natural born Christmas person, or is there something that helps you get in the spirit? Is it decorating, singing Christmas songs or a specific tradition? I know that I need to count my blessings. I know that I am supposed to feel the spirit of Christ. I know all of the things I should do. I want to know what it is that YOU do.

Share with me what makes Christmas for you. Because this is not who I want to be, and I need a hand up out of the self-pity pit!

3 comments:

Deidra said...

I think the answer to feeling down is always the same...service! Find a family/person who is in need (there is always someone who is worse off than ourselves) and do something to help them have a great Christmas. Also....pray. I hope you have a great holiday season! See you at the next meeting?

Gregg and Jenica Jones said...

Oh no, Amy! This makes me sad! You truly are one of the most upbeat, funloving people I've ever met and usually light up a room just by being in it!
I know you've been down on your luck, but I'm a true believer in it's all a state of mind! I was/am still pretty bummed about not getting to see my family in MN over either of the holidays and especially at Christmas. It's all the things my Mom does that gets me in the spirit. She decorates the WHOLE house, with lights and Christmas galore! They play Christmas music often and light lots of fires! Truly, being with family surrounded by the love, decorations, warm, yummy smells, etc can do it for me in a heartbeat!
I feel like it might be like going to the gym, you don't want to go, but you just put on your clothes and your shoes and you're out the door. Before you know it, you're so glad you went! Maybe just start small... decorate, get Connor involved, play the music, light a fire, bake some cookies and before you know it, when you're surrounded by it, it consumes you. I know a lot of things haven't gone your way, but there is no time like the present to always be grateful for what God has given you and count your blessings... you a constant reminder to me in your blogs how important that is! :) Keep your chin up... these are just hard times... they will pass.

Marcy said...

Manheim Steamroller does the trick for me!